Sweet Potato, Chickpea & Okra Gumbo
This delicious recipe from the deep south (of America) is extremely healthy and therefore great for all the family but will also support the hardest training of athletes!
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1/3 green pepper, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic clove, chopped (or garlic powder)
- 1lt vegetable stock
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 350g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 300g okra, trimmed and sliced
- Salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- Heat a large pot. Add the onions. Cook, stirring, until onions go translucent, adding water by the teaspoon if needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the pepper, celery, and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Then add all the remaining ingredients except the peanut butter. Simmer uncovered until sweet potatoes are tender and just close to falling apart, at least an hour to give flavours a chance to develop, adding extra water if needed. Just before serving, stir in the peanut butter (it helps if you mix the peanut butter with a couple tablespoons of hot water first).