Mixed Bean Chilli
Just the thing for a cold winter’s night! Really quick and simple to make. Disease-proof yourself while getting a good whack of protein to repair your body from your gruelling workout sessions!
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 can mixed beans
- A handfull of mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 bell pepper (pref. green)
- 1 medium carrot (adds a little sweetness to balance the dish)
- Fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 – 1 tsp fresh chilli pepper or chilli powder/flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- Coloured sea or rock salt to taste (if you’re in hard training and need to replace salts lost by sweating)
- Steam-fry the finely chopped fresh veggies with a little water (keep the lid on the pan between stirring) until soft.
- Add the herbs/spices and continue cooking while stirring for one minute.
- Stir in the tomato puree.
- Add the tomatoes, bring to simmer for 10-20 mins until veggies are soft.
- Add the beans, cover and cook for a further 10-15 mins. Add a little water if drying out.
- Serve with brown rice or for a much higher nutrient hit just make double like me and eat on it’s own!
- Protein: 23g
- Carbohydrates: 65g
- Fat: negligable (I tend to serve with a side salad containing avocado for a hit of good fats)